I got laid off yesterday.
Those are pretty hard words to write and admit to myself, but it's true: after 9 months and finally starting to feel at home, Red Circle had to let me and several others go. They lost a big client, the client whose signing-on created a job for me. So, I go. So it goes.
I haven't been laid off since my very mutual exit from Creative Circle (I'm really into circles, okay?!) in 2013. Recruiting just wasn't for me, so this one stings a lot more since I KNOW social really is for me.
But, as many Millennials have to be, I'm quite resilient. And I'm learning I've made a pretty amazing (and helpful) network of friends and former colleagues that want to see me do my best. I know I'll be back on my feet in no time; this may be a great time to think and reassess where I want to go.
For the longest time, I've wanted to start a freelance business. Hell, this website was created almost a year ago to help me realize that. While I'd love to work at an agency or in-house again, could this be the time I step off the path and forge my own? Sounds pretty amazing, honestly. We'll see!
In the meantime, I'm going to lay out my skills/qualifications. You know, for ... fun.
[Fun = hiring. Yeahhh.]
Alicia Neubauer, Digital Copywriter & Social Media Strategist for hire in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 3+ years of experience in digital marketing, concentrated primarily on social media
- Worked with clients including: Ford Motor Company, Stormy Kromer, General Mills, Ramada Plaza, Grand Casino Minnesota, Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Once Upon a Child, Plato's Closet, Zantigo, and more
- Social content calendars, page post contests and contests through Woobox/Shortstack, social community management including crisis management, creating and optimizing ads for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Marketing experience with: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+/Pages, Foursquare/Swarm, Pinterest, Google+
- Social tools used: Facebook Ads Manager, Power Editor, Insights, and Business Manager; Twitter Analytics and Ads, Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Raventools, Radian6, Woobox, Shortstack
- Other computery goodness: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator; Workfront, Basecamp, Toggl, Harvest, Dropbox
- Other cool stuff I can do:
- Photography for social channels
- Graphic design: mostly for social, but have done print (marketing collateral, invitations, etc.)
- Adhering and balancing complicated ad budgets
- Curating content to repost
- Website content strategy
- Some working SEO knowledge
- Copywriting for basically anything online
- Cracking terrible dad-jokes